Sunday, February 5, 2017

A short hiatus from organizing

I was on a bit of a hiatus from organizing as I worked on a special project for the state. It took three weeks of my life, but did result in a little extra cash which is always a good thing.

Now, I am back at the organizing. The daily organizational calendar that I have been using still has three weeks of activities that haven't been crossed out, but I am just picking up where I left off.

This morning, I have been cleaning out my recipes. Because I have the world's brownest thumb, I keep tons of cookbooks, recipes and magazines in my planter window.  However, over the years, I have allowed that shelf to be overgrown with paper and books -  some of which I have had since we were first married.

I am going through every piece of paper and every magazine. I can tell which magazines are the most loved because they seem to be sprouting post -it notes! There were some old favorites in these magazines that I had forgotten all about! In the papers I found hand written recipes from dear friends that I haven't heard from in years. I realized that my favorite cookbook is starting to fail the test of time - it is going to have to be put away in some type of box to keep it from getting anymore exposure to the elements. I found some paper recipes that had been printed from the internet more than once...obviously, those were family favorites at some time.

I have been heartless and cruel. I have purged many old magazines, newspaper cuttings, and cookbooks. However, I refuse to purge my Paula Deen magazines or cookbooks I even bought special dividers for those. I don't think I have ever tried a recipe of hers that my family didn't like. That is truly saying something because I live in a house with an extremely picky eater~

The local Habitat for Humanity store is going to get several cookbooks this week, however. I hope that there is someone out there who can use them.


No comments:

Post a Comment