Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Transition Help From a Book

A few months ago, someone told me about a book that I might find helpful. It's FUN WITHOUT DICK AND JANE: A GUIDE TO YOUR DELIGHTFULLY EMPTY NEST by Christie Mellor.

I have to say that if you are like me and are dreading the empty nest, this is the book for you. Mellor takes a humorous look at life after the children leave the nest. She points out that this is NOT the end of our lives, but a whole new beginning. She keeps the book light and airy while giving advice to us at the same time. I have a whole new attitude now.

I am not saying that it will be not be sad to see the last little birdie leave the nest, but Mellor points out that this is not an ordeal to get through. I have been planning my ordeal and making myself the focus. no, this is an adjustment- that's all. Now, I know that I have trouble with adjustments. I always have. I went a little nuts when we moved away from home to where we live now. I was depressed for a very long time when my son went back home for college and decided to stay there. I know that I will have trouble with this adjustment - that's just me.

However, I have a support system now and I am a stronger person this time around. Yes, I will miss the little bird, but I know that I can get through the adjustment period, claim my upstairs living space, and call it a transition.

I bookmarked and highlighted many of Mellor's passsages and may even re-read the book when the time comes. In the meantime, I plan on enjoying the summer with my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment